Review: Words of Radiance


Words of Radiance
Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



So I got the new "Words of Radiance" by Brandon Sanderson last week.. it almost lasted a week before I finished it off.

In the interests of those who haven't read it, (which is probably about 99% of the folks out there at this point, given its length), I'll avoid spoilers and just say that once again.. Sanderson has knocked one out of the park.

So much information, so many characters, so many different plots and an entirely new world, (multiple worlds really) to create.. yet he does it while still weaving an incredibly gripping tale of action, romance, humor, and fantastical (is that a word?) intrigue.

Brandon Sanderson is to Epic Fantasy what George RR Martin is to killing your darlings. ;)

Sanderson's work always has inventive magical systems, and this one is no different, although not entirely new.. he still puts his mark on it and spins it so that it's a new experience for the reader.

Sanderson is one of those authors that, when I get done reading his books, I always wish I could get a localized temporary amnesia so I could back and reread it anew again and experience the story fresh all over again. To me.. that's the epitome of what every author strives for.. that level of writing that makes the reader long to experience his stories anew over and over, and for me, Sanderson here has perfected that art.

I'll even give this much.. the first book I read it and then went back and reread just the Kaladin storyline, skipping Shallan because I found her storyline slow. In words or Radiance, Shallan has the more ambitious, interesting storyline.. surpassing both Dalinar and Kaladin. The entire book is riveting from start to finish.

Simply superb!



View all my reviews

Comments