Review: Variant


Variant
Variant by Robison Wells

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I've followed Rob Wells for a bit through his blog and facebook, but I hadn't read any of his books.. so, given the accolades that Variant received I figured I needed to give it a whirl. I'm glad that I did.

The book starts out fast, very fast, like Olympic Sprinter fast.. and it maintains that pace throughout. The action is unending, and the characters are well written and interesting.. I found myself getting caught up in their stories and trying to guess what each of their motivations was. It wasn't until the big secret reveal that I really understood where the story was headed, or thought I did anyway.

I can honestly say that I didn't see the twist coming, and although it ended up moving into an area that I wouldn't have thought I'd enjoy.. I did. What I mean is, if you'd have told me beforehand that the book would go in that direction, I would have probably rolled my eyes, but the truth is that I was so into the story by then that it didn't matter, I was hooked.. and I'm glad I was.

If you are a fan of Veronica Roth's Divergent, you'll totally love Variant.. not that they're really that similar, but the writing and pacing seemed similar to me.

Overall, a very enjoyable read, now I'm off to finish the next book in the Variant chain, Feedback.



View all my reviews

Comments

  1. I started Variant, but then got sucked into my own project and didn't go back... and I've read about half of Divergent! (Gah, I need to be a more dedicated reader...)

    :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment