Review: The Serpent's Shadow


The Serpent's Shadow
The Serpent's Shadow by Rick Riordan

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



While not as good as the Percy Jackson series, this is a fun read.. I always think of books like these as junk food.. not real hard to read, in fact I read it in about a day and a half of pretty casual reading.. but Riordan is in his element writing with a Pre-Teen's voice. (No disrespect intended)

I did find the switching viewpoints distracting sometimes, and the female lead's British accent was.. well it just stunk to be honest. It was like reading a little girl with a made-up cockney accent.. (E'llo Guvner, like a spot o' tee?) OK maybe that's a bit harsh, but it just didn't flow for me. Her entire demeanor was American Teen.. and then there'd be some English slang thrown in occasionally.

Ahhh well, who am I to judge I guess.. never been a British Pre-Teen Girl.

I did like it, it's like eating cotton candy. If you space the books out and just enjoy it for what it is without looking too hard at the ingredients, it's fun and will leave you wanting more.. but not right away.



View all my reviews

Comments