Writing Software Anyone?

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivener.php

I've been playing around with some writing software recently, Scrivener.. and I'm not entirely sure I like it.  I'm used to writing in MSWord, and while Scrivener has some of the same functions, it just feels different.  I'm sure that I can get used to it if I were to use it more.. (I still remember when Word was so alien because it was so different than Word Perfect), but at this point I'm not sure that it's worth the effort.

So I throw it to the winds of the internet.. have any of you who stumble across this blog ever used it, or heard of anyone using it?  Have they had success with it.. or has it been the latest 'have to have' Christmas Toy that sits unused after a day or two of frustrated attempts?

If you've never heard of it.. check it out. You get a free trial that last 30 sessions.. not too bad imho.  The functions if offers sound appealing, to me at least. (Corkboard, outliner, editor, storing pictures of characters, etc...)  I think I might like a lot of what it offers, but I'm just not entirely convinced that I would use it in that way.. besides that, I've been doing it my way for a while and I'm comfortable with my old broken in shoes. I'm not sure I want to try the newfangled ultra-modern version.  

So I'm looking for any personal experiences folks might have had.  Thanks.


Comments

  1. I tried it for a while but ended up with WriteItNow. Pricier but I like the character extras that come with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried WriteItNow, thanks for the headsup. I'll give it a looksee. :)

      Delete
  2. Can't say I've tried any program other than Word. I know my way around that so well, I'm not sure if I'll convert to anything else. Besides, I heard this program offers ways to organize stuff like structure and plot, but I plan everything before I start anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to move my planning/outlining stage onto one of these programs.. if for no other reason than so that it's all in one place. As I do it now, I've got a folder in my documents that's got about 60 different documents with tidbits, research, skeleton outlines, etc.. and going through them to get everything straightened up is daunting. I'm one of those people who will jot something down in a random file.. I"ll bold it and highlight it and put in enough detail so I know what it's referring to.. but I don't have a specific file for ideas.. so putting everything somewhere where it's more organized is very appealing to me... if such a thing truly exists.

      Delete

Post a Comment