I Like My First Kid.. But My Second Child.. WOW!!

I have had 2 story's percolating in my brain for a number of years. The first I actually first wrote a version of back in like 1998 or so.. the second came to me in around that same time, but was never actually written out.  I love both, but for some reason I'm more devoted to the first story, chronologically speaking, (hence the title of the blog.. not that I don't love my firstborn, she's my only daughter and had my heart from day 1.)

So here is my dilemma.. I believe the second story is more writing ready.  The plot came easy, the storyline, complete with sequel story lines is just natural.. I think I can really write this story without much more tinkering.. but I actually feel torn.. because I've spent more time agonizing over the first.  It has as much potential imho.. and I personally find the details of this one more personally interesting.  I'm sort of a history buff, and I really enjoy ancient history, like the Mayans and Aztecs and the people here in America before even the Indian tribes that we know of today.

I served my LDS Mission in Honduras, (until knee surgery anyway), and being down there just filled me with an unquenchable thirst to know more about the culture of the Mayans and Aztecs.. and the Anasazi and .. you get the point.

Well my first idea encompasses much of this, and I've really enjoyed researching and thinking about how to make all the pieces fit together.

But now that I find myself in the moment of writing, it's clear that my second idea is much further developed.. and I find that I'm at odds with my inclination to write the chronologically first.. first.

Comments

  1. Are these two books part of the same story? If not, I say go with and write what you feel is ready to hit the page. I loved my first three books, but I've accepted that they'll likely never see the light of day. Too much wrong with them. New stories came and I put my lessons learned into those. Result? Better stories!

    I appreciate the comment you left. Thank you. I had no idea I was one of the factors in you starting your blog. Way to go!

    You've got a great layout. Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. The 2 stories aren't related at all.. but great advice. Most likely nobody will read them but me, as you said. It's about the journey, not the destination, journey to becoming a better writer. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh, I hate that "torn" feeling. I get that fairly often. Usually, I end up going with the one I'm more emotionally connected to. Good luck figuring out which one to play with next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shallee. The more I think about it, the more I seem to think that timing on when to write doesn't matter that much since, so long as both will eventually get written, even if only for me.

      Delete

Post a Comment